Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Nasim Mama

My dad woke us up at 7 a.m. to tell us that our uncle, my mother's oldest brother, died. My Nasim Mama ("mama" is the Bengali term for your uncles on your maternal side of the family) had a lot of health problems. He has been in and out of hospital for a long time. He was the reason my mother finally went to Bangladesh last December, though, he seemed fine at that time. Out of my family in Bangladesh, he was the closest to me, thanks to e-mail. We'd email each other at least once a week, talking about school, family, etc.

He died around Tuesday night (Bangladesh time) of a stroke.

On the phone, while my mother talked to her sisters, she told them, "At least you were there with him," in between sobs. It made me think of the guilt she must feel for being here in the U.S. while her entire family is back in Bangladesh, struggling on practically nothing. She didn't get to spend enough time with her parents, sisters and brothers as someone should get to.

It's sad.

3 comments:

Elisa said...

I wish I could say something great, but I can't. I send my condolences to you and your family, especially your mother.

赵晨威 said...

Aw, sorry to hear the bad news... much love to you and all your fam!

graham! said...

Hey Nadia! I'm really sorry to hear that, that sucks. I've never met your family but it seems like you guys have a whole lot of love holding you together. I hope its good comfort to you, your mom and your family right now. much love~