Friday, November 9, 2007

imperfect balance



New York City winter is a muted black & mellow
orange
            & the sky becomes orange
            & the snow becomes orange
            & my skin
                orange
            under three-starless skies

            open

***

he said the city of lost dreams was kinda cute & kinda hopeful and i said it was too desperate too overwhelming but he didn’t care, he was too open & relaxed to give a damn.

we became too much for each other
in New York.

***

i sit alone in a basement
room heated in the depths of November.
outside it was warm like sun
in May & i am
sweltering in this
            heat

***

summer edges into spring
driving beads of sweat down
bare backs & grimy heels
            (the city soot that dirties
            snow is always embedded in the
            cracks of my rough black
            heels; only thin rubber separates
            me from pavement; never ever sit on
            sidewalks—trekked with shit &
            abandoned dreams)

***

you
            jet started my desire for escape for
                anything / everything beyond
these
                tightly drawn borders in this
                cluster of city     lights &
                city     lives

give me
a new kind of new
            i need in my twenties

            away

***

glacial caps are melting for longer springs
the north pole is drowning
            so i can be
                flirty

***

a window is the weakest mirror
you see the world outside &
slight hints of yourself
            faint & distorted
                my skin looks different
                & i
                become part of what’s out there

***

New York is a city of islands & bigger
islands (but the Bronx is connected to mainland
America) what if we
drifted         away
            somewhere towards the
                equator?

***

seat 24a:
i cram against smeared plastic paned port
window looking down the dirty white
wing that somehow lifts me up into
the air along waves of
heat that strike
New York &
i’m
off

1 comment:

kiara ink said...

I don't know if you'll see this as it's an older posting...but it is beautiful and it makes me long for the time when I too was brave about my writing.