Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Talkin' Politics with a Six-Year-Old

While walking to Clinton Hill during a recent babysitting-adventure, Claire, Rob's six-year-old daughter, we passed by a brownstone with a "Support Obama" flyer in the window, complete with his silhouette.

Claire, being the weirdly-observant girl she is, noticed it. "They like Obama," she said. I looked at the window and agreed with her.

"Who do you like?" she went on to ask.

"Obama," I answered. Figuring it couldn't hurt, I asked her, "What about you?"

"I like Obama," she said. It made sense because Rob was supporting Obama too.

Deciding to go further with this, I said to Claire: "Did you know Hilary Clinton dropped out of the race? So now only Obama's left and he's running against John McCain."

Claire smiled and said, "Good." She paused.

"Do you want to know something really funny?" Claire asked with a smile. I nodded.

"There's a boy in school and he couldn't remember McCain's name, so he said 'you know, that really old president!'" she said, laughing.

No comments: